How it works
SUPPORT FOR FILM DEVELOPMENT AND PRODUCTION IN LITHUANIA
Seeking to encourage the development of Lithuanian film sector, Lithuanian Film Centre provides funding for film development and production of the national films as well as coproductions including minority coproductions. Debut films are also eligible for support.
NATURE OF FUNDING: Selective
MAIN ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS: Cultural Test
SESSIONS PER YEAR: 2 (spring, autumn)
MAIN SELECTION CRITERIA: Quality and originality of the project, director’s and producer’s track record, financial aspects.
WHO CAN APPLY
Applications for funding may be submitted by natural persons carrying out individual film production activities registered in Lithuania in accordance with the business certificate (NACE code 59.11) and by legal persons engaged in film production.
Legal persons applying for funding must be registered in one of the member states of the European Union or of the European Economic Area. At the time of payment of the state aid, the beneficiary (legal person) must be a legal person or a branch of a legal person established in the Republic of Lithuania or a branch or a subsidiary of a legal person or other organisation established in one of the states of the European Economic Area established in the Republic of Lithuania.
ANNUAL BUDET FOR FILM DEVELOPMENT, PRODUCTION AND COPRODUCTION:
5,4 million EUR in 2022
4,9 million EUR in 2021
STATE FUNDING FOR NATIONAL FILMS MAY NOT EXCEED
- 90% of the film development budget
- 50% of the film production budget
- 90 % of the experimental film production budget
- 75% of the co-produced film production budget
- 75% of the co-produced film production budget with countries from OECD list*
THE MAJORITY COPRODUCTION SCHEME
Coproduction of full-length, short films, or film series with a Lithuanian majority producer.
MAXIMUM AMOUNTS OF FUNDING:
- Development of an animation – up to 60 000 EUR
- Development of a feature – up to 45 000 EUR Development of a full-length documentary – up to 25 000 EUR
- Development of a short documentary – up to 15 000 EUR Development of an interactive film – up to 45 000 EUR Film scriptwriting – up to 6 000 EUR
- Production of a feature animation – up to 800 000 EUR
- Production of an animation series – up to 800 000 EUR
- Production of a short animation – up to 145 000 EUR
- Production of a full-length feature – up to 800 000 EUR Production of a feature film series – up to 500 000 EUR
- Production of a high-budget film – up to 1 500 000 EUR
- Production of a short film – up to 60 000 EUR
- Production of a full-length documentary – up to 300 000 EUR Production of documentary film series – up to 100 000 EUR
- Production of a short documentary – up to 85 000 EUR Production of a TV documentary – up to 20 000 EUR
- Production of a micro-budget feature – up to 150 000 EUR Production of a first time short film – up to 20 000 EUR
- Production of an interactive film – up to 100 000 EUR
These amounts are not reimbursable.
Not more than 20% of state funding allocated to film production may be used outside Lithuania.
To be qualified as a Minority co- production, the financial involvement of the Lithuanian production company should be at least 10% of whole budget in case of multilateral co-production and at least 20% of whole budget in case of bilateral co-production. In any case total financial involvement of the Lithuanian production company should be less than 50% of whole budget.
Production company must deliver substantial information confirming that the financing which makes no less 50% of whole budget has already been committed.
In the case of minority co-production, either Director or Script writer or Art director, or DOP, or Composer, or Editor, or Sound director, or Costume designer, or Main cast, or Director of animation, or Art director animation, or Character Designer, or Storyboard Creator must be a citizen of the Republic of Lithuania.
Production of a minority co-production – up to 200 000 EUR
This amount is not reimbursable. 100% of the financial grant should be spent in Lithuania.
Coproduction of full-length and short films, film series with a Lithuanian minority producer.
Minority coproduction requirements:
- Applications must be submitted by Lithuanian coproducer
- Documents confirming that the production of the film has received at least 50% of funding
- 95% of funding allocated by the Lithuanian Film Centre must be spent in the Lithuania
- A script or script treatment in Lithuanian
Maximum amounts of funding per project (agreements must be provided):
Up to 100 000 €, if project involves at least one Lithuanian film editor, sound director, costume designer, main actor, senior animation artist or senior animation frame artist
Up to 200 000 €, if project involves at least one Lithuanian co–author–director, script writer, director of photography, production designer, composer, director of animation or senior animation character artist
These amounts are not reimbursable.
With project application for the majority and minority coproductions scheme must be submitted (preliminary) contract that complies with the provisions of the European Convention on Cinematographic Coproduction or other international Coproduction Treaties between Lithuania and other country. Other Coproduction Treaties:
with France (signed in 2015);
with Israel (signed in 2022).
For more information, please contact: Irma Šimanskytė, Head of Film Production Department, email@example.com * www.oecd.org
For more information, please contact Irma Šimanskytė firstname.lastname@example.org